Friday, July 1, 2011

The Heiress(1949)

I have watched The Heiress(1949) with Olivia de Haviland, Montgomery Clift, directed by William Wyler. Ms de Haviland is a shy wealthy young woman wooed by fortune hunter(or is he?) Clift. She soon agrees to marry him to the chagrin of her cruel father Sir Ralph Richardson, who definitely thinks he's after her fortune. There are lots of twists which kept me guessing throughout, which I enjoyed. All of the acting is very good. At first I was disappointed with the ending, but after thought realized it's better than a traditional ending. I'm optimistic enough to believe though the ending seemed to be clear cut one way about the Clift character, it could have been different and to think that it was ambiguous. I'm sure there'd be debate about that. Olivia won the Oscar which was well deserved as she played her transformation well.

Read more: http://goldensilents.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=soundtalk&thread=7772&page=408#ixzz1QsyDzEd3

No comments:

Post a Comment