Friday, June 3, 2011

A Woman of Paris : A Drama of Fate(1923)

A Woman of Paris : A Drama of Fate, written, directed, produced by Charlie Chaplin, he doesn't star, Edna Purviance does. He insists in the beginning credits that he does not appear at all ; however he has a cameo as a train staion porter ; he is unrecognizable to me. Interesting. The film is OK, I'm not overly thrilled with it ; it's a rare drama from Chaplin. Ms Purviance is Marie, ready to run off to Paris with Carl Miller ; after a misunderstanding, she goes to Paris alone. There she lives it up as the mistress of Pierre Revel(Adolphe Menjou) She and Jean(Miller) eventually meet up again in Paris but never quite get together due to interference from his mother(!) The subtitle "A Drama of Fate" comes into play in an ironic last shot.
 
Well, I thought it had the potential to be really good... but I didn't care for the Jean character at all, I thought he was a wuss, so I didn't care if Edna ended up with him or not(mama's boy!). Plus, I thought the subplot where one of her friends went out with Menjou was unnecessary, slowed the film down and didn't go anywhere. But  I liked the last scene, plus the costumes and looking at the Parisian apartments and restaurants during the film. I like too, that he was giving Edna a chance to be a star. So, I didn't think it was terrible, but could have been better. At any rate, a good change of pace for Chaplin into drama, though there are still amusing moments.



Read more: http://goldensilents.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=40&page=282#ixzz1OFTMbTBc

No comments:

Post a Comment